bestwineforlast

bestwineforlast

Just an avid reader who loves books!

Congo Kitabu
The Holy Bible : Scofield Reference Bible
Cyrus I Scofield
Progress: 456/1382 pages

The Fool's Truth

The Fool's Truth - Loretta H. Marion Hmmm... I am torn about this book. I did not like the main character, a women named "Cordelia". The title was very apt, since she was truly a fool. She would turn to friends to help her and her daughter, and they would invest considerable time and money to formulate a plan to help get her and her daughter to safety, and then she would, without telling those that had went out of their way to help her, change the plans, go in a completely opposite direction and put her and her 2 year old daughter in danger. Cordelia was a practicing Buddhist, and there is a quote of Buddha in the book: "The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed.", and Cordelia seemed to have followed that precept to literally. She met a complete stranger who took Cordelia and her daughter in out of the goodness of her heart; a woman with a troubled life and some mental illness. This woman, Rebekah, had lived by herself, bothering no one and was a law-abiding citizen for 2 decades and lived much like a hermit. The book portrayed her as a crazy Christian religious fanatic. While Rebekah would be out running errands for Cordelia, picking up medicine for Cordelia's daughter, Cordelia would be busy repaying Rebekah's kindness, showing gratitude and respect by snooping through the poor woman's diary and reading old letters. If the author wanted to create compassion, pity or sympathy for the main character and her troubles, it did not happen for me. The more I read, the less I liked her. I kept reading, hoping either Cordelia would finally wise up and make something resembling a smart decision, or hoping the "crazy Christian woman" would walk in and beat the crap out of her for violating her privacy. So even though I found the book hard to put down, I felt it was for all the wrong reasons. This Cordelia had a bad habit of imposing her problems on others, disrupting their lives, even risking their lives to help her, and she, out of pride or thinking she was wiser, would disregard all the trouble they had gone to, and jeopardize her daughter in the process. I kept wanting to shake the stupid girl and say what are you thinking? Wake up and grow up! Quit thinking only of yourself!

The premise of the story was promising-- a woman married a man with power, money, connections, who, after several years of marriage and a daughter together has made plans to do away with her and take the daughter. Cordelia finds out about this scheme, escapes with her daughter in an effort to create a new life for them. But our dear Cordelia only creates mess after mess. All in all, I did not care for the book as much as I could have, basically because of Cordelia.

Geez Louise, I always forget these things-- I won this book in a giveaway. My thanks to the author for a copy of the book.