bestwineforlast

bestwineforlast

Just an avid reader who loves books!

twogalsandabook.com

The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings
Arnold D. Ehlert, Henry M. Morris
Dinner With King Solomon
Matshona T. Dhliwayo
Out Of Time
Loretta Livingstone
Uncle Amon
Facts About Champagne And Other Sparkling Wine (Illustrated Edition)
Henry Vizetelly
Progress: 456/1382 pages
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Gail Honeyman

Hodge and His Masters

Hodge and His Masters - Richard Jefferies This was a great look at a particular moment in time in the Victorian era, from the perspective of a country resident. Details how things were beginning to change due to the Industrial age and the introduction of Communist/Socialist theory was having an impact on the agricultural/rural communities at that time. Explores a day in the life of several representative residents, i.e. farmer, laborer, clergy, newspaper editor, housewife, and also takes a look at daily country life and agricultural practices. From the introduction in the scholar's edition: "This work has been selected by scholars as being culturally important, and is part of the knowledge base of civilization as we know it." I, myself, being a lover of all things old, found this book incredibly enlightening and very interesting. It went into detail about the way the average citizen living in the rural parts of England went about his day and may have felt about all of the rapid changes that were occurring at that time, in a way that is often missing in modern historical fiction. I would recommend this to be added to the TBR list of anyone who loves history, Victoriana, or wanting to do research about England at that time in history.