bestwineforlast

bestwineforlast

Just an avid reader who loves books!

twogalsandabook.com

In A Cream Packard
Edward Hackemer
Captain Bartholomew Quasar: Starfaring Adventures (Captain Bartholomew Quasar #2)
Milo James Fowler
Maid of Baikal: A Novel of the Russian Civil War
Preston Fleming
Uncle Amon
Facts About Champagne And Other Sparkling Wine (Illustrated Edition)
Henry Vizetelly
The Holy Bible : Scofield Reference Bible
Cyrus I Scofield
Progress: 456/1382 pages
The Prayer of Jabez:  Breaking Through to the Blessed Life - Bruce Wilkinson

I thought that this was a great little book about a prayer that little known Jabez (from 1 Chronicles in the Old Testament) had spoken. For those not aware, that particular Chapter is a litany of begats-- literally the genealogy of the various tribes of Israel, then the narrator stops during the list to focus on Jabez. Jabez was one of the least of his tribe, and according to the custom, had been named what according to what his parents wished for his destiny, and they obviously did not expect much out of him. Jabez meant "birthed in pain", or "he causes or will cause pain"... that's love for you right? Imagine growing up burdened with a name like that! So his little prayer moved the heart of God, that Jabez would reach out and believe that a God would love him and want more for him and believe in him more than anyone in the world did-- it was truly a statement of faith, and was so worthy of mention that the narrator had to stop midflow and record it for posterity sake.
The challenge is, since God is no respecter of persons, and if we come to him with a heart, like Jabez, to see him work in our lives for His purposes-- pray the prayer everyday for a month and see how God may move in our own lives. I say, what has anyone got to lose? Prayer can't hurt anyone. It is not about giving God a laundry list of our "wants" and expecting Him to fulfill it like our up-in-the-sky genie, but more about thinking outside of the box and allowing God to do what He wants in our lives and see where He wants to take us. I like to keep this little book on my nightstand with my Bible and devotional and remind myself of how good God is. : )