bestwineforlast

bestwineforlast

Just an avid reader who loves books!

twogalsandabook.com

In A Cream Packard
Edward Hackemer
Captain Bartholomew Quasar: Starfaring Adventures (Captain Bartholomew Quasar #2)
Milo James Fowler
Maid of Baikal: A Novel of the Russian Civil War
Preston Fleming
Uncle Amon
Facts About Champagne And Other Sparkling Wine (Illustrated Edition)
Henry Vizetelly
Progress: 456/1382 pages

Disappointing

Multiplarity - Anthony  Stevens
(show spoiler)

This book is a science fiction book that starts with a group of research scientists discovering a cure-all "fountain of youth" medicine. After successfully curing some lab rats of cancer, it was tried on one of the scientists wives who had just been diagnosed with terminal cancer and the prognosis was not good with traditional medicine. After she is successfully healed, news of this miracle is leaked and a group of people starts trouble for them with some of the protesters and researchers being injured/killed. The scientists are forced to go on the run while the government, in league with Big Pharma (who is scared that all of their to-date medicines are now useless and will cause a collapse of the economy), have it labelled as dangerous and employ scare tactics to try to dissuade people to stay away from it on the streets and through the black-market. The formula is published online anyway and people start making it in labs. This is how the medicine is supposed to work: some of the crystalline powder is put into a syringe, some of the patient's blood is drawn up into it, then the mixture is injected into the patient. The "Omniphage", or medicine then repairs any damaged or mutated dna, filling any "garbage" strands with more of the normal dna from the patient. Well, some people (accidentally, and others purposefully) contaminate the Omniphage dosage with other dna (i.e. an animal hair) waking up the next day part human/ part animal. Others (to avoid prosecution for crimes, for example) get a dna sample from another person and become a clone of the donor. Time advances, people are living longer, colonizing the moon and eventually other solar systems. Also a virtual reality, "Beta" is developed... that is more than that. People actually "live" there while their bodies are physically asleep elsewhere, and if someone dies and has created a life in "Beta" for themselves, they can actually be brought back to life in real life through a process.

For me, the story had a good premise, but got a bit far fetched for me with the half people/ animal combos and the cloning through a single injection. (Strike 1)
(Strike 2) The protesters in the book are labelled as "Christian", but I would say is a cult. I am a Christian, have grown up in church, moved to several communities and out of state in my life joining churches where I have moved, and known scores of Christians from other churches and have never met any "Christian" like the author describes. (I would say, irregardless of what they label themselves, they definitely were not Christian). We know throughout the world, in all segments of society, religions and belief systems, there are those on the fringe who are "out there". That would apply to this group of protesters. They were gun toting, violent, willing to commit murder and sabotage, vandalize innocent people to realize their messed up goals. The author implied that this was normal for "Christians" as many area "pastors" got involved in the protests and acting insane, abusive and misogynistic.
(Strike 3) There were so many characters, it was hard to keep who was who straight.
And, lastly, there were many typos, around 20 (I was keeping a tally, but lost count), which was not too bad given the large size of the book, but it was distracting nonetheless when reading to find omitted letters, or words or missing puncutation.
So, if I could half ratings, I would give it 2.5 stars because it did hold promise, but the other issues I listed above disappointed me.
I received a copy of this book in exchange of an honest review, thank you.