bestwineforlast

bestwineforlast

Just an avid reader who loves books!

twogalsandabook.com

Something of Substance
J.A. Souders
Happily
Chauncey Rogers
The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings
Arnold D. Ehlert, Henry M. Morris
Uncle Amon
Facts About Champagne And Other Sparkling Wine (Illustrated Edition)
Henry Vizetelly
The Sherlock Holmes Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle
In A Cream Packard - Edward Hackemer

This is #1 in the Throckmorton Family series. I had initially read #6Sangria Sunsets gifted by the author, and he sent the series for me to read. So, from the onset, I was familiar (to some extent) with a few of the characters, or those mentioned in passing.
This book centers on Alexander "Alex" Throckmorton, son of Nick and Nora Throckmorton. His mother has died, leaving her estate to him, and he must travel up to Wisconsin to handle the legal matters from the home he has made in Florida. On the drive up his car dies and he buys a brand new Packard Patrician 400, and meets a waitress Annie who he falls instantly in love with. The attraction is not one-sided, and a whirlwind romance ensues. They end up getting married a week later, and make the drive back to Florida along the famous "Hillbilly Highway", U.S. RT. 23, from Michigan to Florida. The book is set in 1954, before the modern highway infrastructure existed, so there was much passing through towns to get to a final destination.
On the way to their new home, the newlyweds make a couple of detours to investigate some mysterious things inherited from Alex's mother found in a safe deposit box regarding his father, who was reported killed in the line of duty overseas after WWII. In some ways, the answers they discover lead to even more questions. They also encounter small town crooked cops and judicial system, wrongly spending time in jail. I liked this first installment in the Throckmorton series and getting to know Alex and Annie.... I look forward to continuing the journey in #2.
I received this book in exchange for an honest review-- thank you!