bestwineforlast

bestwineforlast

Just an avid reader who loves books!

twogalsandabook.com

Something of Substance
J.A. Souders
Happily
Chauncey Rogers
The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings
Arnold D. Ehlert, Henry M. Morris
Uncle Amon
Facts About Champagne And Other Sparkling Wine (Illustrated Edition)
Henry Vizetelly
The Sherlock Holmes Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine - Gail Honeyman

After being out of commission for more than a week due to my back, I am glad to finally get to post some reviews. Today is the first day since the 14th that I have been able to sit in a chair and what a relief it is! The upside of not being able to do much is that I got 5 books finished, so I guess there is good in everything. : )

I thought Eleanor Oliphant.... was an unusual but also a great book! I adored 30-something Eleanor, with her social awkwardness and saying whatever came to mind (totally unaware that people didn't voice those opinions). I felt sad for her too-- that she had such a painful childhood, her incredible loneliness, and her status as a social pariah. At the beginning of the book, when all Eleanor's social difficulties started to reveal themselves, I initially thought that maybe she had Asperger's Syndrome or some form of autism, but as the book progressed, the reason for her lack of social skills and stunted emotional and cultural development became apparent, and I even more empathetic.

When she develops a crush on the lead singer of a band that she has never met, just seen briefly in concert (her first crush ever), she becomes obsessed and believes that it is destiny and they are meant to meet, fall in love and marry, and thus make her over-bearing and incredibly cruel mother happy. She eventually has a reality check, and Raymond (her IT co-worker) comes to the rescue. I adored this heart-warming book featuring the unique character of Miss Oliphant and how she chooses to become the victor and no longer the victim.