bestwineforlast

bestwineforlast

Just an avid reader who loves books!

twogalsandabook.com

The Library Book
Susan Orlean
Lalibela's Wise Man
Matshona T. Dhliwayo
The Genesis Record: A Scientific and Devotional Commentary on the Book of Beginnings
Arnold D. Ehlert, Henry M. Morris
Uncle Amon
Facts About Champagne And Other Sparkling Wine (Illustrated Edition)
Henry Vizetelly
The Sherlock Holmes Collection
Arthur Conan Doyle
The Holy Bible : Scofield Reference Bible
Cyrus I Scofield
Progress: 456/1382 pages

Charming story

The Colonel And The Bee - Patrick Canning

Wow! What a great book! I like steampunk anyway, and this story encompassed so much of what I love about reading-- a compelling tale that keeps you turning the pages, and author good with words, adventure, and a mystery. To me, it was reminiscent of The Good Thief, which I also loved, but vaguely, and at the same time a story unique and all its own.

Beatrix (Bee) is a 13 year old acrobat who had run away to the circus from an home where she was unwanted, but the circus proved no better as the owner, Ziro, was a volatile man who used his whip for the smallest infraction. During a performance she meets Colonel James Bacchus, a mysterious man that many tales of daring and adventure are told about, and he ends up being her savior, allowing her to escape from Ziro and his 2 dangerous mute and strange guards that are often tasked with the duty to kill whoever disappoints Ziro. The Colonel's home away from home is the Ox, a four story hot-air balloon which is almost entirely self-sufficient, and this way the conveyance for what ended up being a globe-hopping adventure, on the hunt of criminals and treasure.

This book has now found a treasured space on my bookshelf, sure to be revisited again. I received this book in exchange for an honest review from the author. Thank you!